Granny’s Soft SnickerDoodlesJune 24, 2020
What is a snickerdoodle cookie?
The snickerdoodle cookie is a choice of everyone who tried it. Snickerdoodle cookies are a delicious sweet rolled in cinnamon and sugar. Consisting of a sugar cookie base that is coated with a mixture of white sugar and cinnamon, this relatively basic cookie is very popular during the holidays, but can be enjoyed year “round”.
Some snickerdoodle aficionados prefer a crispy cookie, while others like their cookie a little on the soft side. The spiced coating creates a crackly crisp exterior with surprisingly thick soft centers. It’s the perfect balance of simple flavors and contrasting textures. This snickerdoodles recipe is about the softest sweets you’ll ever have the pleasure of eating. Hot chocolate with marshmallows or a cup of cappuccino and you will feel your soul like in paradise.
You can forget about flat or hard cookies with easy granny’s snickerdoodle cookies recipe!
And one more secret that is used in snickerdoodles cookies – is a cream of tartar.
But sometimes people prefer to cook those cookies without cream of tartar – but the main secret is exactly this cream.
Why is cream of tartar in snickerdoodle cookies?
It’s what separates a tangy, chewy snickerdoodle from an ordinary cinnamon-coated sugar cookie. The acid in cream of tartar gives snickerdoodles their distinctive tangy flavor, and the chew happens because cream of tartar prevents sugar in the cookie dough from crystalizing into crunchiness.
Now you know everything that you need, so we can start our cooking.
How to make the best snickerdoodle cookie?
Here you are:
INGREDIENTS FOR SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 2 big eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes), scraping the sides of the bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla for a further 2 minutes until well incorporated. You can do it without mixer.
- Fold in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt until just combined.
- In a separate small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Cover dough and refrigerate for about 30 minutes (if time allows).
- Roll cookie dough into balls (about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough per cookie). Roll in the cinnamon/sugar mixture and evenly coat.
- Arrange cookies at least 3-inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with a little extra cinnamon/sugar to ensure cookies are completely covered.
- For thick cookies: spoon dough onto your baking sheets straight from the spoon (use a cookie dough scoop). Don’t roll them into perfect round balls. You’ll want higher rather than wider cookie dough balls so that they bake thick.
- For thin cookies: Make a small indent in the centre of each cookie ball by lightly pressing down before baking to flatten them out a little.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Let cool for about 10-15 minutes and then serve to your family or guests.
How do I know if the snickerdoodles are done?
Watch snickerdoodles closely because the cinnamon sugar mixture they are rolled in will give the illusion of browning. Since you won’t be able to see the color of the cookie as clearly watch for the shiny color in the middle of the cookie. When it looks slightly set, immediately remove as we are looking for these cookies to stay chewy.
Prep: 20 MINS
Cook: 10 MINS
Time to wait: 30 MINS
Portions: 24 cookies
Notes: Cookies stay fresh at room temperature for 5-6 days stored in an airtight container.
Also: Cookie dough can be made 3 days ahead; cover and chill. Let dough come to room temperature before portioning and coating in cinnamon-sugar.
Calories: 182 kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg
SnickerDoodles that are Made with Granny’s Love and the easiest recipe you ever heard about!!!!